Monday, October 18, 2010

Teaching An Old Dog New Tricks

I have been a proficient door scratcher for years. When I need to go out or come back in, I scratch at the door.

I taught Sarah Beagle how to do it, and she caught on quickly.

But try as I might, and as hard as my Mom has tried, Olive Badger just won't do it. She'd rather have an accident in the house then scratch at the door!

It's shameful really.

So Mom has just left the back door open all these months. Rain or shine, hot or cold, the door is open.

The cold morning a few days ago changed all that. Mom said enough is enough and closed the door. Then Dad bought a dog door and put it in.

Olive, darn her, jumped in and out of it before it was even fully installed. She loves it. That heavy plastic swinging door doesn't bother her at all.

I hate it. I still scratch a the door, but Mom won't open it. She says I've got to learn how to use the dog door.

That's not fair!

I'm an old dog, who shouldn't have to learn any new tricks. But Mom says I'm not that old and I'll be happier in the long run being able to go in and out without having to wait for someone to open the door for me.

Hmm. I remain skeptical.

Mom has sweetened the pot by giving me a treat when I use the dog door.

Mmmm. Treats.

I've never identified with Scooby until today, but I'll do anything for my own scooby snack! Even use a doggie door.

No comments:

Post a Comment